What is The McKenzie Method?
The McKenzie Method of Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy (MDT), is a comprehensive evidenced based system that focuses on the assessment and treatment of musculoskeletal issues, including pain in your back, neck, or extremities. First developed in the 1950s by physiotherapist Robin McKenzie in New Zealand and extensively researched since, MDT effectively allows the physical therapist to triage your pain accurately and efficiently to the most appropriate treatment quickly. Additionally, the assessment also identifies when your pain could be not coming from a musculoskeletal cause or when therapy would be contraindicated and help the physical therapist refer you to the most appropriate medical professional. Research shows that the majority of patients with mechanical spine pain do better with specific exercises and have less symptoms when treated with exercises individualized to them.
What are the Benefits of The McKenzie Method?
- Effective Pain Relief: By identifying specific movements and postures that aggravate or alleviate your symptoms, our experienced physical therapists use the McKenzie method to design a personalized treatment plan to target and reduce pain AT YOUR FIRST SESSION.
- Restoration of Function: Through individually tailored exercises, postural adjustments, and targeted therapies based off of your personal assessment, you and your physical therapist work together to restore your function and improve your overall quality of life.
- Empowering Self-Management: The McKenzie Method empowers you to actively participate in your own recovery, by educating you about your condition and providing you with self-management strategies. This allows you to take control of your well-being long after your therapy sessions are complete.
- Individualized Approach: Our McKenzie Certified physical therapists conduct a thorough assessment to understand your specific mechanical problems based solely on how different movements and postures change the pain you are currently feeling. This allows us to tailor a specialized treatment plan based on your assessment, solely for you, increasing the likelihood of successful outcomes.
- Long-Term Benefits: The McKenzie Method not only provides immediate pain relief but also focuses on long-term results. By equipping you with self-care techniques and prevention strategies, we aim to minimize the risk of future recurrences and help you maintain a healthy, pain-free lifestyle. Close to 80% of people that have had an episode of back or neck pain will have it again! Imagine learning the tools necessary to prevent that from happening to you.
- Minimally Invasive: The McKenzie Method harnesses the power of your body’s natural healing abilities, reducing the need for medication, imaging, and invasive procedures. All of which can cost you time and money prior to becoming pain free.
Get Started Today!
If you are seeking a holistic and individualized approach to managing your back, neck, or extremity pain, the McKenzie Method may be an ideal solution for you. Contact us today to schedule an appointment with one of our certified Mckenzie Physical Therapists!